Dear clients and friends,
The Equifax data breach exposed personal data for 143 million people in the United States (plus UK and Canada). Compromised data includes birthdates, Social Security numbers and driver’s license numbers. The event occurred during May, June and July - Equifax disclosed this information last week.
Given the amount of people affected, it is likely most of us have had our personal data compromised. If your credit card number was also compromised Equifax will be contacting you via US POST.
Here are the actions steps you should take now: Hyperlinks are included for your convenience.
- Visit Equifax security website to determine your potential impact.
- Enroll in complimentary identity theft protection.
- Request your free credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com. Once a year you are allowed to request a free copy of your credit report from each of the reporting agencies Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
- Change all your passwords – everywhere. Now is a good time to add caps and special symbols for added security. Change them at least every six months.
- Carefully review all current and future bank, brokerage and credit card statements.
- Set up alerts with your bank and credit cards to alert you when large amounts are charged.
- If you are the victim of identity theft and want to place a freeze on your credit report, contact each of the reporting agencies. Note that a credit freeze locks down your credit; a fraud alert will require you to verify any credit requests. Change your account numbers on your accounts. Call us at 212.328.9530 to change your brokerage account numbers. We’ll make it easier for you.
- Visit identitytheft.gov for more information.
- Avoid scams:
- Don’t give out your personal info by phone unless you initiated the call.
- Don’t click on suspicious or questionable email links. Check email address of the sender. It is always safer to open a new link and go directly to company website.
- Lastly, please contact us with any questions, or if you need any assistance with the process. We’re here to help you.
Erika Safran, CFP ®
Elena Ladygina, CFP ®
Safran Wealth Advisors, LLC is a New York City based financial planning and wealth management firm registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission as a Registered Investment Advisor.
At Safran Wealth Advisors, our financial expertise and our care for your well being creates peace of mind. Our goal is to help you meet your life financial goals by placing your interests first, and delivering expert, unbiased advice.
We work with many types of clients, from single individuals to small families to multiple generations. Many of our clients are medical professionals, financial executives, academics and entrepreneurs. We also have a specialty in assisting our clients with preretirement decisions and post retirement financial life management.
Our compensation is simple. As a fee only firm we receive our compensation only from you, eliminating any conflicts of interest.
At Safran Wealth Advisors our goal is to help you meet yours.